The duties and responsibilities of a janitor can include general cleaning of a building as well as keeping it maintained and in good condition. Janitors work in schools, retail stores, hospitals, public spaces, and offices in a variety of industries.
In addition to keeping buildings clean and orderly on the inside, some custodians work outside, mowing lawns, sweeping walkways, or shovelling snow. Some janitors can also keep an eye on the heating and cooling systems to ensure they are working properly.
Janitors perform a wide range of cleaning services that differ between each building they are in. For example, janitorial services for an elementary school will be different from those needed for a hospital office. At Commercial Cleaning Markham, we offer customizable janitorial services for large and small facilities. If needed, our janitors can:
- Washes windows and mirrors.
- Take out the trash and recycling.
- Wipes down and sanitizes surfaces.
- Cleans, sanitizes, and stocks restrooms.
- Handles leaf and snow removal as needed.
- Follows instructions from the head janitor.
- Sweeps, mops, polishes, and vacuum floors.
- Mows lawns, waters plants, and removes litter.
- Uses common cleaning tools and outdoor power equipment.
- Organizes the custodians closet and stores all supplies and tools.
- Completes minor repairs, like switching light bulbs and unclogging toilets.
- Notifies the head custodians when major repairs are needed.
- Fills out janitorial checklists at the end of every shift.
- Locks the doors at the end of night shifts.
- Follow safety rules and precautions.
- Adheres to company policies and procedures.
If you don’t have a janitor or if your janitorial team could use some help, you should find someone as soon as possible. In order to make your building a safe place for you, your employees and your guests, you need to have regular janitorial services.
For easy, affordable and reliable janitorial services, contact our team today. We offer flexible before or after hour cleanings.
How often does a janitor work?
Although most janitors work full-time, some prefer part-time work. Many cleaning workers work evening hours because office buildings are usually cleaned when they are empty to avoid distractions. On the other hand, janitors in schools generally work during the day. Janitors may work in shifts when 24-hour maintenance is required. This is especially important in hospitals and hotels.
What makes a good janitor?
A good Janitor will pay close attention to detail, which will help in keeping the facility clean. They are also motivated, responsible, and self-sufficient, with excellent time management skills.